Upcycled Long Tunic

Alright, so this post is a bit off topc as it is not arms, armor, or smithing, but it is still related! I have been trying to make medieval and renaissance-styled tunics for some time now, but honestly they are quite difficult with no patterns! I have been drawing styles I could create by upcycling old t-shirts and will be making one soon! I have, however, created a tunic as of last night by upcycling two old button-down dress shirts. The tunic with a red sash belt actually looks quite nice!

button tunic

     Forgive me for the low quality picture, but I only had my phone for taking pictures at the moment. I enjoyed creating this tunic and it actually fits quite comfortably! I am considering the additions of colored sleeve extension panels, maybe red or brown in order to give my arms freedom of motion. I am also considering adding colored panels which hang down the front for added decoration.

     I hope this has helped to give a few ideas for projects!

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Upcycled Long Tunic

  1. You keep amazing. I love this! And I like the idea of adding wider sleeves. I think it fits the armour theme perfect because no one runs around in full armour all the time and a tunic like this is perfect for when armour is not. Wonderful!

    • Thank you so much Anja! I may make wider sleeves on one eventually. My original idea was actually to lengthen the sleeves just a bit for increased freedom of movement. I have also completed my t-shirt tunic and will be dying it today in my decorative and wearable arts class! I will probably post pictures of it too!

    • Hey thanks so much! Go right ahead! Just a bit of a warning though: When you sew on the torso of one shirt to the bottom of the whole shirt, it tends to try to fall behind you like a tailcoat and you can feel the weight from your shoulders and it can bind the movement of your legs a bit, but wearing a belt or a sash belt remedies this a bit. What I have found completely remedies this is to go down to the part you sewed on and button its very first button. I ended up having to cut off the first button from the cut off torso in order to properly hem the cut edges. But anyway, have at it my friend and experiment with colors! I know I will be!

    • Also, my teacher in decorative and wearable arts class told me that if the shirts are 100% cotton, or maybe some rayon, we can give the shirts and antiqued look by dyeing them using coffee! Just so long as the shirts are natural fiber!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s